The Weaving Department was started by the Mother in 1936 with Smt. Bimala Sarkar, who hailed from Bangladesh and ten inmates of the Ashram who were given work in Grenadier House to make handloom cotton fabrics for the requirements of the Ashram. Four local weavers with one helper were also employed. As the products were liked by the devotees visiting the Ashram, the items were put on sale.
When the Harpagon Workshop Trust was formed in 1967, the department was transferred to the Trust as it had became a commercial unit.